dAmnMobile 2 has been out for over a year as of now. It is time I set aside a week to rethink and rebuild the app.
Designing a mobile client for a chat system such as dAmn or IRC is a tough problem to tackle. Getting the interface to work correctly, gaining good performance are some issues I have to tackle.
Since August last year I have been working when I can on building a new core for dAmnMobile to be included in the next major release. This system already fixes many bugs that the old system had. It improves performance, eliminates those pesky disconnections and crushes other bugs.
I am planning to set aside a week or more shortly to rethink dAmnMobile completely in terms of how it flows for the user. Questions such as how to simplify tabbing, moving between chats and managing other aspects all need a thorough rethink before this begins.
Some of my current ideas are as below:
- A faster tabbing method, maybe double tap a message to reply?
- Notifications that appear will allow a user to move to the chat that it came from.
- Swipe to change chats, e.g. swipe from one chat to another quickly instead of dropping back to a table view.
- Private Chat support with integration with CLINK to allow private chat requests between modern dAmn clients.
- Topic and Title support in the iPhone app including the ability to edit.
- Full support for the dAmn protocol including /whois and other commands thus far not included.
- A searchable chat list so that a user can add chats to their list easier.
I'd like your input into this aspect if possible to make dAmnMobile what you, the user wants. If something bugs you in the current version of the app, feel free to share, whether its a bug, or just an annoyance of the user interface. I'll try my best to address it in the next major update.